Ford was the largest and most financially stable war-time producer of the jeep. Their production efforts begin with the Ford GP Pygmy. The Pygmy was equipped with a modified tractor engine rated at 45 hp. It was considered a fairly modern engine for its day.
The Ford GP pictured above is pretty famous. It appeared in an article of Life magazine in 1944. It was one of the first jeeps sold to the public. A mayor in a small town in Kansas purchased it in Chicago for $750 and drove it home. It stayed in the family until the mid 1970s. Eventually it ended up in the Veterans Memorial Museum of Huntsville, Alabama. This is a museum worth visiting!
More can be found out about the Ford GP in BANTAM, FORD AND WILLYS-1/4-TON RECONNAISSANCE CARS.